Evangelical Christians through the Lens of Orthodox
Comparative Theology: the Perspective of Religious Studies
The content of Comparative Theology discipline is traditionally denunciative in nature, which one can see at the levels of the definition of the main goals and the way the doctrinal issues are considered. In the context of the missionary maxim of Venerable Silouan the Athonite the article presents an alternative wording of the goal defined as the study of doctrinal foundations of heterodox confessions compared to the view the orthodox dogmatics. Such definition would avoid confrontation and is in tune with such aims as service to the heterodox world and the study of useful experience of heterodox confessions. The analysis of the content of “Western Christianity. A View from The East” by protopresbyter Maxim (Kozlov) and “Comparative Theology” by protopresbyter Valentin (Vasechko) shows two basic features: 1) only direct representatives of magistrate reformation are under study though they do not constitute the protestant majority; 2) the pin-point approach to the debate demonstrated in the analysis of certain theses from the viewpoint of the Orthodox dogmatics. The article examines the objections against the Lutheran “Sola fide” principle and the reasons why such approach is ineffective and hardly applicable to the denominations prevailing in Russia – Evangelical Christians-Baptists and Christians of Evangelical Faith (Pentacostalism). The author presents an alternative approach to the content of “Comparative theology”, which includes the systematic analysis of basic dogmatic sources, the study of the means of doctrines dissemination and their comparative study from the viewpoint of the Holy Tradition.
Fedorov Mikhail Alexandrovich, Candidate of Sciences (Philosophy), Associate Professor, Department of Religious Studies and Theology, Buryat State University, 24а, Smolin st., Ulan-Ude, 670000, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Fedorov M.A. Evangelical Christians through the Lens of Orthodox Comparative Theology: the Perspective of Religious Studies. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2020, vol. 32, pp. 117-125. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2020.32.117 (in Russian)
- Vasechko, protopresb. Valentine. Sravnitel'noye bogosloviye [Comparative theology]. 2nd ed., Rev. Moscow, Publishing House of PSTGU, 2012, 112 p. (in Russian)
- Grunt E.V., Smirnova O.G. Otnosheniye rossiyan k protestantizmu v sovremennykh usloviyakh: regional'nyy aspekt [The attitude of Russians to Protestantism in modern conditions: a regional aspect]. Proceedings of the Ural Federal University. Series 3: Social Sciences, 2017, vol. 12, no. 3(167), pp. 115-127. (in Russian)
- Kargina I.G. Vliyaniye krizisa na protestantskiye konfessii v sovremennoy Rossii [The impact of the crisis on Protestant denominations in modern Russia]. Bulletin of MGIMO University, 2014, no. 1 (34), pp. 177-183. (in Russian)
- The book of Concord. Religion and teaching of the Lutheran church. The edition is electronic, revised. Lutheran Heritage Foundation. 1998, 617 p.
Available at: http://www.lhf.ru/pdf/BOFC6_1.pdf (accessed: 02.12.2020). (in Russian)
- Kozlov, prot. Maxim, Ogitsky, D.P. Zapadnoye khristianstvo. Vzglyad s Vostoka [Western Christianity. View from the East]. Moscow, Publishing House of the Sretensky Monastery, 2009, 608 p. (in Russian)
- Kuraev, deacon. Andrew. Protestantam o pravoslavii [To Protestants about Orthodoxy]. 30.01.1996.
Available at: https://azbyka.ru/protestantam-o-pravoslavii (accessed: 02.12.2020). (in Russian)
- Luther Martin. Izbrannyye proizvedeniya [Selected works]. St. Petersburg, Andreev and Concord, 1994, 430 p. (in Russian)
- Yablokov I.N. ed. Religiovedenie [Religious studies: the manual and the minimum vocabulary for religious studies]. Moscow, Gardariki Publ., 2000, 536 p. (in Russian)
- Fokin M.N. Zarozhdeniye i rasprostraneniye protestantizma v Rossii [The origin and spread of Protestantism in Russia]. 2009.
URL: http://www.refspb.ru/2009-03-21-18-48-17/2-articles/266-2009-07-20-10-10-55-13 (accessed: 02.12.2020). (in Russian)
- Shardakova R. A. Protestanty v sisteme gosudarstvenno-tserkovnykh otnosheniy Rossiyskoy imperii XIX veka [Protestants in the system of state-church relations of the Russian Empire of the XIX century]. Protestantism in modern Russia. Contribution to the development of society, religion, history and culture: materials of the Russian scientific-practical. Conf., dedicated to the 495th anniversary of the Reformation. Nov., 16, 2012. Compiled by S.V. Ryazanova, V.I. Nichik. Perm, Book Square, 2012, pp. 237-245 (in Russian)