The «Quadruple Helix» Concept and Innovative
Development of the Regions
The purpose of this study is to analyze the “quadruple helix” concept proposed by foreign researchers E. Karayannis and D. Campbell in 2009 with a view of its applicability to the issues of innovative development of territories at various levels – local, regional and federal. The national innovative system of Russia and domestic experience of science and technology development have been considered. The authors attempted to identify the results, problems and prospects for implementation of innovative economy in Russia. Adverse factors to implementation of the development concept in Russian cities have been identified, the factor of dependence on natural resources export in particular. Aspects of partial implementation of the “quadruple helix” concept in the innovative development strategy at national and regional levels were analyzed. The authors have noted that implementation challenges are due to the lack of sustainable interrelations among the elements of the system, inefficient interaction between public and private sectors in setting priorities for development in science, technology, and innovation, almost complete lack of interaction between science and business, low innovation activity of business sector, natural resources export dependence of the regions, which makes realization of the concept fragmented.
Kichatinova Elena Leonidovna, Undergraduate, Department of Political Science, History and Regional Studies, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, Karl Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, tel.: 8(3952)243995, e-mail: email@example.com
Oleynikov Ilya Vasilyevich, Candidate of Sciences (History), Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, History and Regional Studies, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, Karl Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, tel.: 8(3952)243995, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kichatinova E.L., Oleynikov I.V. The «Quadruple Helix» Concept and Innovative Development of the Regions. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2019, vol. 29, pp. 53-62. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2019.29.53 (in Russian)
- Andrjushkevich O.A., Denisova I.M. Modeli formirovanija nacionalnyh innovacionnyh sistem [The models of national innovation systems forming]. Kapital Strany [State’s Capital]. Available at: http://kapital-rus.ru/articles/article/modeli_formirovaniya_nacionalnyh_innovacionnyh_sistem/ (date of access: 23.04.2019). (in Russian)
- Davydenko E.V. Modeli nacionalnyh innovacionnyh sistem: zarubezhnyj opyt i adaptacija dlya Rossii [The models of national innovation systems: foreign experience and adaptation for Russia]. Problemy sovremennoy economiki [Problems of the modern economy]. 2014, no. 2(50). Available at: http://www.m-economy.ru/art.php?nArtId=4937 (date of access: 23.04.2019). (in Russian)
- Ivanov N.P. Socialnyj kontekst innovacionnogo razvitija [The social context of innovative development]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnie otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], 2013, no. 5, pp. 17-30. (in Russian)
- Luchko M.L. Tehnologicheskie klastery kak factory razvitija innovacionnoj ekonomiki: opyt Shvetcii i Finljandii [Technological clusters as factors of the innovative economy development: the experience of Sweden and Finland]. Institucionalnie i finansovie mehanizmi razvitiya territorial’nih klasterov i tehnologicheskih platform [Institutional and financial mechanisms for the development of territorial clusters and technology platforms], 2017, pp. 109-124. (in Russian)
- Sablin K.S. Problema implementacii mehanizma chetvernoy spirali v resursnih regionah Rossii [The problem of Quadriple Helix mechanism implementation in Russian “resource” regions]. Molodezh Evropy i Rossii. Evropa i Evropeyskiy soyuz glazami uchenih, materialy Mezdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferencii [Youth in Europe and Russia. Europe and the EU through the Eyes of Scholars. International Conference Proceedings, ed. by Larisa Deriglazova], 2018, pp. 134-139.
- Slavjanov A.S. Problemy vybora modeli innovacionnogo razvitija rossijskojj ekonomiki [Model-choosing problems of innovative development of the Russian economy]. Innovacii v menedzhmente [Innovations in management], 2015, no. 2 (4), pp. 56-63. (in Russian)
- Slonimskaja M.A. Prakticheski orientirovannye prilozhenija modeli «chetvernoj spirali» k setevym formam innovacionno-jekonomicheskih vzaimodejstvij [Practically oriented applications of the Quadruple Helix model to the network forms of innovation and economic interactions], Ekonomicheskiy rost Respubliki Belarus’: globalizatsiya, innovacionnost’, ustoychivost’ [Economic development of the Republic of Belarus: globalization, innovation, sustainability. 9th International Conference Proceedings], 2016, (1), pp. 230-231. (in Russian).
- Carayannis E.G., Grigoroudis E. Quadruple Innovation Helix and Smart Specialization: Knowledge Production and National Competitiveness. Foresight and STI Governance, 2006, no. 1 (10), pp. 31-42. Available at: https://clck.ru/HrU5G (date of access: 23.04.2019). (in Russian)
- Carayannis E.G., Campbell D.F.J. «Mode 3» and «Quadruple Helix»: toward a 21st century fractal innovation Ecosystem. International Journal of Technology Management, 2009, no. 3/4 (46), pp. 201-234.
- Carayannis E.G., Campbell D.F.J. Triple Helix, Quadruple Helix and Quintuple Helix, and how do Knowledge, Innovation and the Environment relate to each other? A proposed Framework for a transdisciplinary Analysis of sustainable Development and social Ecology. International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, 2010, no. 1(1), pp. 41-69.