Revisiting the Narrative in Religious Studies
The article discusses the issues of working with personal documents (ego-documents), particularly, a special kind of sources – published materials (autobiographies, diaries, etc.), which are still seen from a biased view, since, besides the author, there is an editor with his or her own worldviews who usually works on it. Thus the question arises whether these published ego-documents can be used. To answer this question the author briefly describes religious narrative and narratology. Two different documents about religious conversion of the Old Believers in Orthodoxy (mid-19th century) and deconversion (debaptism in the early 20th century) were considered, the main ways of applying the narrative theory in religious studies were outlined. The main object of the text study is the «event», what the author of the document experienced and what he tries to get across. The study of the published ego-documents from the perspective of narratology proves to be effective, it makes it possible to expand the source base and improve the quality of religious studies in the future.
Folieva Tatyana Alexandrovna, Candidate of Sciences (Philosophy), Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy and Religion, Saint Tikhon’s Orthodox University of Humanities, 23b, Novokuznetskaya st., Moscow, 107497, Russian Federation, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Folieva T.A. Revisiting the Narrative in Religious Studies. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2020, vol. 32, pp. 107-116. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2020.32.107 (in Russian)
- Blok M. Apologija istorii ili remeslo istorika [The Historian's Craft]. Transl. E. M. Lysenko; Primech. A. Ja. Gurevicha. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1973, 254 p. (in Russian)
- Bogomolov F.N. Rasskaz byvshego staroobriadtsa Fedora Bogomolova ob ego zhizni v raskole i obrashchenii v pravoslavie [The story of the former Old Believer Fyodor Bogomolov about his life in schism and conversion to Orthodoxy]. Moscow, Univ. tip., 1866. 44 p. (in Russian)
- Vera i lichnost' v meniaiushchemsia obshchestve: avtobiografika i Pravoslavie v Rossii kontsa XVII – nachala XX veka [Faith and personality in a changing society: autobiography and Orthodoxy in Russia of the late XVII – early XX centuries]: sbornik / eds. D. A. Sdvizhkov, I. Shirle. Moscow, Novoe lit. obozrenie, Deutsches Historisches Institut, 2019, 403 p. (in Russian)
- Voznesenskij A.V. Staroobryadcy i ih knigopechatnaya deyatel'nost': problemy izucheniya [Old Believers and their printing activity: problems of study]. Proceedings of the Department of ancient Russian literature, 2016, vol. 64, pp. 538-564. (in Russian)
- Ostrovskaia E.A. Biograficheskii narrativ v izuchenii religioznosti [Biographical narrative in the study of religiosity]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Series 18, Sotsiologiia i politologiia, 2016, Vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 65-80. (in Russian)
- Panteleeva A.V. Ot religioznykh praktik k religioznym narrativam kak smysloobrazuiushchim modeliam podderzhaniia solidarnosti v soobshchestve [From religious practices to religious narratives as meaning-building models for maintaining solidarity in the community]. Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Series 1, Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie, 2017, no. 71, pp. 119-130. (in Russian)
- Poplavskii R.O., Kliueva V.P. “Kak tolko ia pererodilsia...” konversiia i rasskazy o nei v piatidesiatnicheskoi traditsii: struktura i funktsii [“As soon as I was reborn...” conversion and stories about it in the Pentecostal tradition: structure and functions]. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal issledovanii kul'tury, 2013, no. 1 (10), pp. 35-41. (in Russian)
- Pochemu my stali bezbozhnitsami [Why we became godless]: Sbornik sost. brigadoi bezbozhnits g. Leningrada. Moscow, Gaiz Publ., 1933, 51 p. (in Russian)
- Shmid B. Narratologiia [Narratologiia]. Moscow, Iazyki slavianskoi kultury Publ., 2003, 312 p. (in Russian)
- Augis E. Religion, Religiousness, and Narrative: Decoding Women's Practices in Senegalese Islamic Reform. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 2012, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 429–441.
- Clark Roof W. Religion and Narrative. Review of Religious Research, 1993, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 297-310.
- Harrison V.S. Narrative, Postmodernity and the Problem of 'Religious Illiteracy. New Blackfriars, 2008, vol. 89, no. 1023, pp. 591-605.
- Milbank J. Theology and social theory: beyond secular reason. Oxford, UK; Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub., 2006, 448 p.
- Seed J. History and Narrative Identity: Religious Dissent and the Politics of Memory in Eighteenth‐Century England. Journal of British Studies, 2005, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 46-63.
- Szpiech R. Conversion and Narrative: Reading and Religious Authority in Medieval Polemic. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013, 311 p.
- Yamane D. Narrative and Religious Experience. Sociology of Religion, 2000, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 171-189.