The Compromise Partnership: The Association of North East Asia Regional Governments as an Institute
for International Cooperation Development
The paper presents the analysis of the activities of the Siberian regions of the Russian Federation with the Association of North East Asia Regional Governments (NEAR) in the first decades of the XXI century. The authors have come to the conclusion that the cooperation with Russian regions, including the Irkutsk region, is hindered due to the fact that the participation of Russian regions in the activities of NEAR is largely confined to declarative statements about cooperation, signing framework agreements, and yet there are problems with attracting foreign investments in practice. At the moment, NEAR is a compromise institution focusing on dialogical interaction between subnational governments of the regions of North East Asia states, which sporadically develops into a pragmatic cooperation filled with real economic content.
Oleynikov Ilya Vasilyevich, Candidate of Sciences (History), Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, History and Regional Studies, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, K. Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Yakimova Anna Alexeevna, Master’s Degree Student, Department of World History and International Relations, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, K. Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oleynikov I.V., Yakimova A.A. The Compromise Partnership: The Association of North East Asia Regional Governments as an Institute for International Cooperation Development. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2020, vol. 32, pp. 44-51. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2020.32.44 (in Russian)
- Ivanov S.A. Bez polnomochij, resursov i celej: Rol regionalnoj vlasti Dalnego Vostoka v prodvizhenii ekonomicheskogo sotrudnichestva s Kitaem [Without authority, resources and aims: how do regional authorities of the Russian Far East promote economic cooperation with China]. Rossiya i ATR [Russia and the Pacific], 2016. vol. 2, pp. 27-45. (in Russian)
- Kashirskaya A.V. Rol Dalnego Vostoka Rossii v regionalnom sotrudnichestve stran Severo-Vostochnoj Azii [The role of Russian Far East in regional cooperation of North-East Asia states]. Obshchestvo. Sreda. Razvitie (Terra Humana). [The Society. The Environment. The Development], 2014. vol. 2, pp. 67-69. (in Russian)
- Olejnikov I.V. Uchastie regionov Bajkal'skoj Sibiri (Irkutskaya oblast' i Respublika Buryatiya) v deyatel'nosti Associacii regional'nyh administracij stran Severo-Vostochnoj Azii (ARASSVA): k vozmozhnosti aktivizacii sotrudnichestva [The Participation of Baikal Siberia regions (the Irkutsk Region and the Republic of Buryatia) in the Association of North East Asia Regional Governments (NEAR): toward the intensification of cooperation]. ES i Rossiya: vzaimodejstvie v sfere nauki i obrazovaniya. ES i Rossiya na prostranstve Evrazii: materialy mezhdunar. nauch. konf. [EU and Russia: Cooperation in Science and Education. EU and Russia in Eurasia: international conference abstracts], 2014, pp. 78-81. (in Russian)
- Pescov S.K. Transgranichnoe sotrudnichestvo i integraciya v Aziatsko-Tihookeanskom regione [The transborder cooperation and integration in Asia-Pacific region]. Gumanitarnye issledovaniya v Vostochnoj Sibiri i na Dal'nem Vostoke [Humanities Research in the Russian Far East], 2010, vol. 4, pp. 15-21. (in Russian)
- Petrovskij V. Rossiya i “Aziya regionov”: novye vozmozhnosti [Russia and «Asia of regions»: new possibilities]. Mezhdunarodnaya zhizn' [International Affairs] zhurnal. Oficial'nyj sajt. Avaliable at: https://interaffairs.ru/news/show/20234 (date of access: 19.04.2020). (in Russian)
- Renzin O.M., Kuchuk V.V. Mnogourovnevaya integraciya kak instrument inkorporirovaniya Dal'nego Vostoka Rossii v ATR [Multilevel integration as a tool for the Russian Far Eastincorporating in the Asia-Pacific Region]. Vlast i upravlenie na Vostoke Rossii [Power and Administration in the East of Russia]. 2019. vol. 4 (89). pp. 41–49. (in Russian)
- Yakimova A.A. Sravnitel'nyj analiz deyatel'nosti regionov Bajkal'skoj Sibiri v ARASSVA [Comparative analysis of the Baikal Siberia’s Regions’ activities in the “NEAR”]. Voprosy istorii, arheologii, politicheskih nauk i regionovedeniya [The problems of history, political science and regional studies: conference abstracts], 2017. Edition 13, vol. 2, pp. 68-72. (in Russian).