Place of Central Asia in Chinese Politics in 1992–2019:
the Analysis of Political and Economic Relations
The paper provides a detailed analysis of the development of relationships of China with the countries of the Central Asian region in 1992-2019 in political and economic spheres, as well as to trace their development and identify the problems. A detailed description of the political and economic strategy of the People's Republic of China in relation to the Central Asian states (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan) in 1992-2019, which has been divided into several periods, has been presented. The development of the Chinese strategy of relationships with the nations mentioned above has been considered. Special attention was paid to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, which is one of the main international agencies in the region. The authors identified political and economic interests of the PRC in the region and described some features and priorities of China in Central Asia. Special attention has been paid to the Belt and Road Initiative, its principles and routes, connection with the Central Asian region, and examples of its practical implementation in the region. The author also pointed out difficulties having impact on China's policy in Central Asia; they are primarily related to fear of “Chinese expansion”. Vision of further development of China's economic and political strategy in the region has been presented.
Kuzmin Kirill Evgenyevich, Master’s Degree Student, Department of World History and International Relations, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, K. Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yangel Tatyana Yakovlevna, Candidate of Sciences (History), Associate Professor, Department of World History and International Relations, History Faculty, Irkutsk State University, 1, K. Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Kuzmin K.E., Yangel T.Ya. Place of Central Asia in Chinese Politics in 1992–2019: the Analysis of Political and Economic Relations. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2020, vol. 32, pp. 34-43. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2020.32.34 (in Russian)
- Akmatalieva A.M. Initsiativa “Odin poyas – odin put” v Tsentral’noi Azii [“One Belt, One Way” initiative in Central Asia]. Comparative politics Russia, 2018, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 139-146. (in Russian)
- Vorob’ev A.V. Kitai i Tsentral’naya Aziya: rastushchaya druzhba pod bokom Rossii [China and Central Asia: growing friendship near Russia]. RIAC.
Available at: https://russiancouncil.ru/analytics-and-comments/analytics/kitay-i-tsentralnaya-aziya-rastushchaya-druzhba-pod-bokom-rossii-/ (date of access: 18.03.2020). (in Russian)
- Davydov Z.V. Ekonomicheskaya politika Kitaya v Tsentral’no-Aziatskom regione i ee posledstviya dlya Rossii [China's economic policy in the Central Asian region and its implications for Russia]. Oriental Institute Journal, 2015, no. 2 (26), pp. 19-29. (in Russian)
- Dmitrieva M.O. Rossiya i Kitai v Tcentral’noy Azii: sotrudnichestvo ili sopernichestvo [Russia and China in Central Asia: cooperation or rivalry]. Bulletin of the Moscow Region State University. Series: History and Political Sciences, 2019, no. 1, pp. 139-146. (in Russian)
- Imanaliev M.S. Kitai i Tcentral’naya Aziya: postsovetskoe razvitie [China and Central Asia: Post-Soviet development]. The Valdai Discussion Club.
Available at: https://ru.valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/kitay-i-tsentralnaya-aziya-postsovetskoe-razvitie/ (date of access: 18.03.2020). (in Russian)
- Krakova S. Kitai nastupaet: Rossiyu vydavlivayut iz Tcentral’noy Azii [China is coming: Russia is being squeezed out of Central Asia]. Gazeta.Ru.
Available at: https://www.gazeta.ru/business/2019/09/20/12654181.shtml (date of access: 17.03.2020). (in Russian)
- Malysheva D.B. Postsovetskaya Tsentral’naya Aziya i ee aziatskie sosedi [Post-Soviet Central Asia and its Asian neighbors]. Russia and New States of Eurasia, 2016, no. 4, pp. 19-30. (in Russian)
- Tyul’pakov M.V. Energeticheskoe sotrudnichestvo Turkmenistana i Kitaiskoi Narodnoi Respubliki: sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya [Energy Cooperation between Turkmenistan and China: Present Condition and Development Prospects]. The Bulletin of the Volga Region Institute of Administration, 2015, no. 3 (48), pp. 43-47. (in Russian)
- Frolova I.Yu. Kitaiskii proekt “Ekonomicheskii poyas Shelkovogo puti”: razvitie, problem, perspektivy [China's “Silk road Economic belt” project: development, problems, prospects]. National Strategy Issues, 2016, № 5 (38), pp. 47-67. (in Russian)
- Chshen’pen L. Interesy Kitaya v Tsentral’noi Azii [China's interests in Central Asia]. The Newman in Foreign Policy, 2017, no. 39 (83), pp. 11-18.
- Chshen’pen L. Kitaiskaya vneshnyaya politika v Tsentral’noi Azii v 1990-e gg. [Chinese foreign policy in Central Asia in the 1990s]. Ojkumena. Regional researches, 2017, no. 3, pp. 145-155. (in Russian)