Common and Individual in the Discourse of Rene Guenon
The article deals with the metaphysical and ontological structure of Rene Guenon's discourse, epistemological levels of cognition in his system, and his categorical apparatus: transcendental characteristics, universals, categories. The system-structural analysis of metaphysical, ontological and anthropological levels showed that special epistemological levels of cognition correspond to metaphysical and ontological levels. The system-structural analysis of metaphysical, ontological and anthropological levels showed that metaphysical and ontological levels were consistent with specific epistemological levels of knowledge. At the level of structure they relate to the transcendental characteristics, and in the Guenon's system belong to universals. Their correlation with anthropological levels reveals such states of anthropological structure as a “universal” and “transcendental” man. The system-structural analysis revealed the relationships of manifestationism and realism in matters of universals and the problem of correlation between “nothing” and “not-being” in creationism and manifestationism. With the help of the hermeneutic method, the connotations and correlation of a “universal” man with an individual man have been clarified in terms of the correlation of “personality” and “individuality”. The system-structural analysis revealed the relationship between realism and nominalism on the issue of a universal of “man” and soteriology and teleology of a person. With the help of historical-genetic method the historical origin of Guenon's ideas has been traced, their comparative correlation has been carried out. System-structural and comparative methods reveal identical structures in the systems that Guenon makes the basis for his synthetic doctrine. To clarify the connotations and structure of his discourse, hermeneutic and dialectical methods have been used thus determining the objects of his criticism. The author has come to the following conclusions: the system of Rene Guenon is an attempt of the synthetic Platonic discourse of manifestationism standing on a realist position concerning universals and a unique type of humanism and anthropocentrism that is based on the structure of a “universal man”. Guenon's discourse is a presumable metanarrative, a common language of religious traditions, a kind of the return of an updated version of neo-Platonism. The relevance of the article has been justified by a current dispute about the essence of man, both within religious traditions, and between clerical segments and trans-humanism as well.
Zobkov Roman Aleksandrovich, Postgraduate, Institute of Mongolian Studies, Buddhology and Tibetology SB RAS, 6, Sakhyanova st., Ulan-Ude, 670047, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Zobkov R.A. Common and Individual in the Discourse of Rene Guenon. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2020, vol. 31, pp. 66-79. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2020.31.66 (in Russian)
- Dugin A.G. V poiskakh temnogo logosa (filosofsko-bogoslovskie ocherki) [In search of the dark logos (philosophical and theological essays)]. Moscow, Akademicheskiy proekt Publ., 2013, 515 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Simvolika kresta [Le symbolisme de la croix. Transl. from French. Ed. by Fadeeva T.M.]. Moscow, Progress-Traditsiya Publ., 2008, 704 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Krizis sovremennogo mira [La crise du monde modern. Translated from French. Edited by Melent'eva N.V.]. Moscow, Akademicheskiy proekt Publ., 2018, 256 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Mnozhestvennye sostoyaniya bytiya [Les états multiples de l’Être. Translated from French. Edited by Lyubimova]. Moscow, Belovod’e Publ., 2012, 256 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Obshchee vvedenie v izuchenie indusskikh ucheniy [Introduction générale à l’étude des doctrines hindoues Translated from French. Ed. by Makovchika M.]. Moscow, Belovod'e Publ., 2013, 321 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Simvoly svyashchennoy nauki [Symboles de la Science Sacrée Transl. from French. Edited by Tiros N.]. Moscow, Belovod'e Publ., 2002, 496 p. (in Russian)
- Genon R. Chelovek i ego osushchestvlenie soglasno Vedante [L’homme et son devenir selon le Vêdânta. Transl. from French. Ed. by Tiros N.]. Moscow, Belovod'e Publ., 2018. 256 p. (in Russian)
- Zen'kovskiy V. Sudba Khalkidonskogo veroopredeleniya [The fate of the Chalcedonian creed]. Pravoslavnaya mysl. Paris, 1953. Vol. 9, pp.109-124.
- Yates F. Rozenkreytserovskoe prosveshchenie [The Rosicrucian Enlightenment. Translated from English. Edited by Kavtaskina A.]. Moscow, Aleteya Publ., Enigma Publ., 1999, 496 p. (in Russian)
- Nesterkin S.P. Lichnost v buddizme makhayany [Personality in Mahayana Buddhism]. Ulan-Ude, Buryat Science Center SD RAS Publ., 2011, 243 p. (in Russian)
- Karpets Vladimir. Ontologiya i metafizika u Rene Genona (lekcija) [Ontology and metaphysics in the discourse of Rene Guenon (lecture)].
Available at: https://youtu.be/QwrLos0uWuI; https://youtu.be/KbHX_KwH880 (date of access: 16.12.2018)
- Corbin A. Svetovoy chelovek v iranskom sufizme [L’homme de lumière dans le soufisme iranien]. Moscow, Fond issledovaniy islamskoy kultury Publ., Volshebnaya Gora Publ., Dizayn. Informatsiya Kartografiya Publ., 2009, 237 p. (in Russian)
- Losev A.F. Samoe samo [Thing itself]. Mif, chislo, sushchnost [Myth, number, essence]. Moscow, Mysl Publ., 1994, pp. 300-526. (in Russian)
- Popper K. Otkrytoe obshchestvo i ego vragi [The Open Society and Its Enemies]. Moscow, Kulturnaya initsiativa Publ., Feniks Publ., 1992. 448 p. (in Russian)
- Burkkhardt T. Vvedenie v doktrinu sufizma [An Introduction to Sufi Doctrine. Translated from English. Edited by Lokman N.P.]. Taganrog, Irbi Publ., 2009, 144 p. (in Russian)
- Eriugena I.S. Perifyuseon (“O prirodakh”). Filosofiya prirody v antichnosti i v Srednie veka [Philosophy of nature in antiquity and the middle ages]. Moscow, Mysl Publ., 2000, pp. 479-526 (in Russian)
- Eriugena I.S. Perifyuseon (“O prirodakh”). Srednie veka [Middle ages]. Moscow, Mysl' Publ., 1994, vol. 57, pp. 365-456 (in Russian)
- Hayek F.A. Pagubnaya samodeyatelnost. Oshibki sotsializma [The Fatal Conceit. The Errors of Socialism. Translated from English. Ed. by Osinovoy E.]. Moscow, Novosti Publ., Catallaxy Publ., 1992, 302 p. (in Russian)
- Stirner M. Edinstvennyy i ego sobstvennost [Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum Translated from English. Ed. by German Gimmel'farba B.V., Gokhshillera M.L.]. St. Peterburg, Azbuka Publ., 2001, 442 p.
- Jung K. G. Chelovek i ego simvoly [Man and his symbols]. Moscow, Serebryanye niti Publ., St. Peterburg, AST Publ., 1997, 367 p.