Aborted Congress of the East Siberian Metropolis
in the Context of Renovationist Schism in Eastern Siberia
in 1931 – Early 1932
The article discusses the prerequisites for the organization East Siberian renovated metropolis in Irkutsk. The author analyzed the situation of the Irkutsk Renovationist diocese by the end of 1920s. The background for establishing the East Siberian metropolis has been examined. Some features of the ecclesiastical and political stance of the first head of the Archdiocese «archbishop» Alexiy Petrovich Kopytov have been discussed. The situation of East Siberian Renovationist dioceses in 1931 – early 1932 has been analyzed. The activity of the East Siberian regional Metropolitan Church administration during this period has been investigated. Special attention was paid to the process of preparation for the Congress of the Eastern Siberian metropolis scheduled at the end of May 1932. The author examined the correspondence of the Metropolitan administration with the dioceses and the Renovationist Holy Synod, the program of the purported congress and the abstracts of the reports that were to be presented. The author came to a conclusion that the congress did not take place due to both independent reasons and negligence on the part of the Renovationist structures at different levels. The formation of the East Siberian metropolis took place in extremely unfavorable conditions for the Renovationist schism. Since the congress of the metropolis did not take place, a number of administrative issues were not resolved.
Kulpinov Sergey Sergeevich, Deacon, Science Degree Seeker, Department of Church History, St. Petersburg Theological academy, 17, Obvodnoy kanal emb., St. Petersburg, 191167, Russian Federation, tel.: 8(999)4228098, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kulpinov S.S. Aborted Congress of the East Siberian Metropolis in the Context of Renovationist Schism in Eastern Siberia in 1931 – Early 1932. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2019, vol. 29, pp. 63-76. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2019.29.63 (in Russian)
- Metelkina L.N. Predsedateli rajispolkomov Vostochno-Sibirskogo kraya: opyt istoriko-politologicheskogo analiza [Chairmen of the District Executive Committees in the Eastern Siberia Region: Experience of the Historical-Political Review. Part I]. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies, 2011, no. 1 (6), pp. 96-109. (in Russian).
- Pospelovskij D.V. Russkaya pravoslavnaya cerkov v XX veke [The Russian Orthodox Church in the XX century]. Moscow, Respublika Publ., 1995, 511 p. (in Russian).
- Beglov A.L. (et al.). Russkaya Pravoslavnaya Cerkov. XX vek [The Russian Orthodox Church. XX century]. Moscow, Sretensk Monastery Publ., 2008, 800 p. (in Russian).
- Firsov S.L. “Rabochij batyushka”. SHtrihi k portretu obnovlencheskogo «mitropolita» Aleksandra Ivanovicha Boyarskogo [«Working father». Strokes to the portrait of the renewed «metropolitan» Alexander Ivanovich Boyarsky]. The Bulletin of Orthodox St. Tikhon's humanitarian University. Series History, 2005, no. 4, pp. 67-90. (in Russian).
- Tsypin V.A., archpriest. Istoriya Russkoj Pravoslavnoj cerkvi. 1917–1997 gg. [History of the Russian Orthodox Church. 1917–1997]. Azbuka very. Available at: https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/Vladislav_Tsypin/istorija-russkoj-tserkvi-1917-1997 (date of access: 06.08.2019). (in Russian).
- Tsyrempilova I. S. Buryat-mongol'skaya eparhiya v 1920-h – 1930-h gg.: opyt regional'nogo obnovlenchestva [Buriat-Mongolian diocese in the 1920s – 1930s. : ex-perience of regional renewal]. Scientific Journal «Vlast», 2013, no. 5, pp. 177-180. (in Russian).
- Tsyrempilova I.S. Russkaya pravoslavnaya cerkov i gosudarstvo: istoriya vzaimootnoshenij v 1917–1930-e gg. (na materialah Bajkalskogo regiona) [The Russian Orthodox Church and the state: the history of relations in the 1917–1930s (based on the materials of the Baikal region)]. Ulan-Ude, East-Siberian State Academy of Culture and Arts Publ., 2008, 300 p. (in Russian).
- Shkarovskij M.V. Russkaya Pravoslavnaya Cerkov v XX v. [The Russian Orthodox Church in the XX century]. Moscow, Veche Publ., Lepta publ., 2010, 480 p. (in Russian).