The Islamic Identity of Russia in Changing Europe
The article examines the Western European and Russian approaches to accepting Islam as a part of their identity. A comparative analysis of the history of Islam in the Western European and Russian societies allows understanding the reasons Russia has been more successful in integrating the Muslim community and fighting Islamic extremism. The roots of Islamophobia and Western supremacy have been analyzed from a historical perspective to understand the reasons of a conflictive relation between Islam and the West. The analysis proposes Europeans should reconstruct the concept of nation and appropriate Islam to create a wider identity as a solution for the problem of integration of Muslims and the fight against extremism in Western Europe.
Gonzalez Cedillo Joel Ivan, Postgraduate, Department of International Relations, Department of International Relations, Saint-Petersburg State University, 7/9, University Embankment, Saint-Petersburg, 199034, Russian Federation, tel.: 8(812)3241270, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gonzalez Cedillo J. I. The Islamic Identity of Russia in Changing Europe. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Political Science and Religion Studies. 2018, vol. 26, pp. 97-104. https://doi.org/10.26516/2073-3380.2018.26.97
- Abd Allakh K. Kharakter islamofobii posle 11-go sentyabrya. 11-go sentyabrya i rost islamofobii na zapade [The nature of Islamophobia after the 11th of September. September 11 and the rise of Islamophobia in the west]. Islamofobiya [Islamophobia]. Moscow, Sadra Publ., 2016, 206 p. (in Russian)
- Aleshkov I.V. K voprosu o ponyatii «natsiya» v sovremennom gosudarstve (ili skol'ko natsiy v rossii?) [To the question of the concept «nation» in the modern state (or how many nations are there in Russia?)]. Aktualnye problemy borby s prestupleniyami i inymi pravonarusheniyami [Actual problems with crimes and other offenses], 2015, no 13-2, pp. 74-77. (in Russian)
- Kulikova O.N. Islam i pravoslavie v Rossii: istoricheskiy opyt vzaimootnosheniy [Islam and Orthodoxy in Russia: historical experience of relationships]. Trudy molodykh uchenykh Altayskogo gosudarstvennogo universitet. altayskiy gosudarstvenniy universitet. [Proceedings of the young scientists of the Altai State University], 2012, no 9, pp. 282-283. (in Russian)
- Iz istorii tipografskikh izdaniy Korana [From the history of the typographical editions of the quran]. Islam Today. Available at: https://islam-today.ru/istoria/iz-istorii-tipografskih-izdanij-korana/ (date of access: 07.18.2018). (in Russian)
- Mankiev A.A. A.-kh.A. Kadyrov o vakhkhabizme v Chechne [A.-H.A. Kadyrov about wahhabism in Chechnya]. Trudy Groznenskogo gosudarstvennogo neftyanogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta im. Ak. M.D. Millionshchikova [Proceedings of the Grozny State Oil Technical University. Academician M.D. Millionshchikov], 2011, no 11, pp. 272-274. (in Russian)
- Saidov A.A. Islam v sisteme natsionalnykh interesov Rossii [Islam in the system of national interests of Russia]. Islam v Rossii. Islamovedenie. Dagestanskiy gosudarstvennyi universitet [Islam in Russia. Islamic Studies. Dagestan State University], 2012, no 4, pp. 21-28. (in Russian)
- Sanai M. Musulmanskoe pravo i politika: uchebnoe posobie [Muslim law and politics: a tutorial]. Мoscow, Sadra Publ., 2014, 98 p. (in Russian)
- Roshchin M. Islam v Chechne [Islam in Chechnya]. Rossiya i musulmanskiy mir. Institut nauchnoy informatsii po obshchestvennym naukam ran [Russia and the Muslim world. Institute of scientific information in social sciences], 2004, no 1, pp. 33-45. (in Russian)
- Barry E., Selsoe M. In Denmark, harsh new laws for immigrant «ghettos». The New York Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/world/europe/denmark-immigrant-ghettos.html (date of access: 18.07.2018).
- Connolly K. Turkey condemns Austria's «racist» move to close seven mosques. The Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/08/turkey-austria-close-mosques-expel-imams (date of access: 06.18.2018).
- McGuinness D. The Berlin mosque breaking Islamic taboos. BBC. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40802538 (date of access: 06.20.2018).
- Renan E. «What is a Nation?» text of a conference delivered at the Sorbonne on March 11th, 1882. «Qu’est-ce qu’un nation?» Paris, Presse-Pocket. 1992. (translated by Ethan Rundell) Available at: http://ucparis.fr/files/9313/6549/9943/What_is_a_Nation.pdf (date of access: 07.10.2018).
- Sherwoot H. Women lead Friday prayers at Denmark's first female-run mosque. The Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/26/women-lead-friday-prayers-denmark-first-female-run-mosque-mariam (date of access: 07.05.2018).